CDC- Center for Disease and Control reports:
- Total: 37.3 million people have diabetes (9.4% of the US population)
- Diagnosed: 28.7 million people
- Undiagnosed: 8.5 million people (23.0% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed)
Diabetes cost to the nation is 327 billion a year. It is the 7th leading cause of death.
Diabetes complications affect your vision, your heart, and your nerves.
Diabetes Signs or Symptoms:
If you have a family member with diabetes – get tested for diabetes at your annual physical.
You may experience some of these or none of these common diabetes symptoms:
- Unquenchable thirst
- Frequent urination
- Blurry vision
- Fluctuation your weight
- Sores that don’t heal
- Tingling in your hands and feet
- Red swollen gums sometimes can be an indication.
If you have a higher probability of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, then taking these steps can prevent or delay a diabetes diagnosis:
- If diabetes runs in your family and you have excess weight- get tested for diabetes.
- Watch what you are eating- trade out your favorite foods for a lower-carb version of the same meal. You can go to the Sugar Happy Kitchen for recipe ideas.
- Start exercising at least 30 minutes a day- five days a week. Work with a healthcare professional to decide which exercise is best suited for you and how long you can exert yourself. Having an exercise coach can make a big difference. You can work with someone or use an App.
- Set weight loss goals with a healthcare professional and get a scale to measure your results.
- Surround yourself with people that keep you motivated.
- Stay inspired by reading other people’s success stories, reminding you that you can achieve your goals. 🙌