What do you get when international best-selling author Dr. Steven Covey joins forces with Bayer Diabetes Care and the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE)? You get an inspirational booklet that is a simple, practical resource guide to help people get started in managing their diabetes.
The booklet, titled 7 Habits of Highly Effective People With Diabetes, is being offered as a free download through Bayer’s simplewins® website, which is an online resource for people with diabetes. Available to complement the free booklet is a workbook, a 60-minute audio learning CD, and a weekly planner that can be ordered through the website for free (plus shipping and handling) at www.simplewins.com
Dr. Covey was inspired to write the free booklet when his wife was diagnosed with diabetes. He says, “Life has a habit of throwing us curve balls. When my wife was diagnosed with diabetes, she knew she would have to change some of her behaviors if she hoped to stay healthy and “be there” for us. I became her partner and coach in this journey. Together, we turned the diabetes ‘curve ball’ into an opportunity to learn, grow, and deepen our lives in many ways. As human beings, we have that ability – that choice.” And so, he brought his famous 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, named
“the #1 Most Influential Business Book of the Twentieth Century,” to the battle against diabetes. And now he shares his wisdom.
Within the booklet, Dr. Covey highlights the 7 Habits:
- Habit 1: Be proactive (Choose your actions and take responsibility for them.)
- Habit 2: Begin with the end in mind (Create a vision for your life, based on what is most important to you -your deepest values.)
- Habit 3: Put first things first (Prioritize your tasks according to what is truly important.)
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win (Build strong relationships with others by helping them succeed, too.)
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood (Listen with your mind and your heart. Let the other person know you understand. Then make yourself understood.)
- Habit 6: Synergize (Synergy happens when two or more people work together to find a better solution than either could alone.)
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (Sharpening the saw is about keeping all parts of yourself sharp: physical, mental, social, and spiritual.)
The free audio CD, workbook and weekly planner expand upon these principles and help put them into action.
Dr. Covey says that when combined with the AADE7 Self-Care Behaviors of Healthy Eating, Being Active, Monitoring, Taking Medication, Problem Solving, Healthy Coping, and Reducing Risks, “These habits will help you become more effective in managing diabetes on your own, and with others: your medical team, family and friends. I hope these pages will help you see diabetes not as a setback, but a journey of self-discovery. I invite you to read [the booklet] and discover all the powers you have to turn this change into a positive force – in your own life, and the lives of those you cherish.”
* * *