I can’t think of a better way to say ” I love you,” than a perfect Red Velvet Cupcake. These easy-to-make one-bowl cupcakes take the cake with just 180 calories and a mere teaspoon of added sugar. (For comparison, a typical cupcake bakery Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting has over 500 royal calories and a whopping 15 teaspoons of sugar).
1 large egg
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup Splenda granulated sweetener
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 -1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons cake flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
8 ounces tub-style light cream cheese
4 ounces nonfat cream cheese
1/4 cup Splenda granulated sweetener
1 cup light whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a nonstick 12 muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk egg until at least double in volume, mix in oil, sugar, extract, sweetener, and red food color.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, and stir 1/3 into the wet mixture. Add 1/3 of the milk and alternate wet and dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
- Scoop evenly into muffin tin, bake 15 minutes, until center springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make frosting, place the cream cheeses in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sweetener and beat for 1 minute longer. On slow speed, beat in the whipped topping, beating briefly just mixed. Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons of frosting.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Per Serving (1 cupcake)
Carbohydrate 21 g (Sugars 6 g)
Total Fat 8 g (Sat Fat 1.5 g)
Protein 4 g
Fiber 1 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Diabetic exchanges = 1-1/2 Carbohydrate, 1-1/2 Fat
Weight Watcher point comparison = 3
*A light dust of powdered sugar instead of frosting eliminates 40 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 2 grams of carbohydrate