The eyes are the windows to the soul, and also one of the primary places where health problems associated with diabetes turn up.
Because high blood sugar can cause a host of problems, people with diabetes are especially at risk for problems including diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and cataracts
In fact, according to webMD.com, diabetes is the leading cause of blindness among adults age 20 to 74.
But even those without diabetes are at risk. Between 25 to 30 million people worldwide over the age of 55 are legally blind as a result of age-related macular degeneration.
According to experts, a diet rich in lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamins C, E, and omega-3 fatty acids can lower the risk of developing AMD. (That means loading up on good-for-you foods like eggs, salmon, tomatoes, broccoli, goji berries, sweet bell peppers, greens, Brussels sprouts-and of course, carrots.)
But on top of eating right, making eye health a top priority can make a world of difference.
That’s why eye expert Dr. Eli Fischer created a quiz to help you track your eye expertise. “Because most people know more about dental than eye care, I created this test,” he said.
So how many questions can you answer correctly? Get the correct response to more than eight, and yours is a high Eye Q. (Answers are at the end.)
1. What is inflammation of the eyelids called?
2. True/False: If conjunctivitis appears in newborn infants, treatment should be sought immediately as their vision could be at risk.
3. True/False: Dry eyes often accompany blepharitis.
4. True/False: You can catch a cold through your eyes.
5. True/False: There are three main layers that make the tear film: mucin, aqueous, and lipids.
6. Will your vision last for the rest of your life?
B. Yes, if treated
C. Maybe, if daily eye care is practiced
7. Daily use of eye care wipes…
A. Refreshes the eyes
B. Prevents debris from the eyelids to enter the eye
C. Cures eyelid diseases
D. Both A & B
E All of the above
8. Are there special eye care wipes for babies?
C. You should only use eye drops
D. One can use adult wipes
9. What is important when choosing eye care wipes?
A. Non- irritating to eyes (tearless)
C. Based on artificial tears (eye drops)
D. Clinically tested
E. All of the above
A. Should be practiced daily
B. Should be practiced weekly
C. Is important
D. Is not necessary
E. Both A & C
1) C 2) TRUE 3) TRUE 4) TRUE 5) TRUE 6) C 7) D 8) B 9) E 10) E