This month I’d like to pass along some of my most popular snack ideas. These are all delicious, quick, and diabetic friendly:
Pre- workout snacks:
1. Emerald coco almonds (100 cal pack)
3. Health Warrior Chia Bar (coconut is my favorite)
4. Numerous KIND bar flavors
5. Quest bar (banana nut or chocolate chip cookie dough are my favorites)
6. 2 rice cakes with 2 tablespoons of almond butter
7. Peanut butter power ball:
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp chocolate protein powder
5 tbsp peanut butter
Stir and shape into mini balls and refrigerate.
8. Super green juice-any mixture of the following: kale, spinach, romaine, green apple or pear, ginger and lemon.
9. Strawberries/blueberries and a mini frozen Greek yogurt (Healthy Choice makes a great 100-calorie yogurt in assorted flavors)
10. Chowan Champions or Bites snack-sized Greek yogurt in numerous flavors (my favorite is coffee chocolate chip).
Depending on the intensity and duration of your workout, you may want to combine more than one snack (Emerald almonds and an apple or a Chobani bite with one peanut butter ball, for example). And even if you don’t get a chance to workout, these snacks are still great for mid-afternoon, especially if you work late. Try them out and let me know what you think! www.kfitnyc.com
(Fitness instructor Kiley Schoenfelder was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 8. She operates her own independent fitness company, K FIT NYC. Kiley holds two certificates from the National Academy of Sports Medicine: Corrective Exercise Specialist and Certified Personal Trainer.)