Dance Out Diabetes is a non-profit organization that addresses a critical component missing in most diabetes programs: PHYSICAL ACTIVITY! Our mission is to help individuals prevent or manage diabetes through dance and education.
“I finally found the place I belong. It’s great to have a dance spot where people won’t freak out by seeing my insulin pump and know how to support me if I go low. Plus, the variety of music keeps me interested. I no longer have to stay up late to go to a crowded, alcohol and smoke-filled club just to dance!” -Julie, San Francisco, CA
Dance Out Diabetes is for:
- People of all ages, levels of fitness, and dance ability
- People with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes, and their friends and family
- People seeking a place to meet people with similar interests and health challenges.
Dance Out Diabetes is an innovative, diabetes-friendly place to dance that includes all ages, types of diabetes, family and friends, along with all kinds of music, light dance instruction and free dance opportunities.
The vision of Certified Diabetes Educator Theresa Garnero, Dance Out Diabetes is to have FUN while managing health through being active with dance. Theresa is the author of Your First Year with Diabetes. She brings her expertise as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management to this new program. She is joined by an amazing group of professionals including an endocrinologist, exercise physiologist, dietitian, registered nurses, certified diabetes educators, and people with type 1 and 2 diabetes and at-risk community members.
Dance Out Diabetes Benefits
- Regular dance events for the non-dancer in a safe environment
- On-site certified diabetes educators to answer questions and assist with low sugar
- Regular newsletter, nutrition tips
- Light dance instruction and free-dance venues
- A variety of music genres and dance styles
- Professional and personalized diabetes feedback by monitoring key health markers such as A1C, blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight
- A great price: $10 for adults; $5 for ages 8-17, above 60 or with an EBT card, Medicare or Medi-Cal card (with photo ID); Free for kids 7 and under, and for all volunteers.
– – – – –
Want to volunteer?
We need certified Diabetes Educators, dietitians, dance instructors and just regular folks to help out with our monthly programs. For more info, contact Michelle Barth firstname.lastname@example.org
– – – – –
Will you be our sponsor?
You may send any contribution to our Paypal account of via check to:
Dance Out Diabetes
P.O. Box 14002
San Francisco, CA 94114
Contact us at email@example.com or call 1-877-765-4386.