By: Jan Chait
With the World Health Organization estimating that 70 percent of all new cases of diabetes are expected to appear in developing nations, Novo Nordisk has committed $60 million over the next decade to the World Diabetes Foundation (WDF). Funding for the WDF also will be sought from other sources.
The WDF aims to improve diabetes prevention and treatment in the developing world, with both economic and other forms of support. It focuses on these priorities:
- Creation of awareness and knowledge about diabetes
- Prevention of diabetes and its complications
- Education and training for patients and professionals
- Improving access to essential diabetes medications
- Enhancement of detection, treatment and monitoring
Proposals will be reviewed four times each year. They can be submitted via the WDF Web site at www.worlddiabetesfoundation.org or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.